SCSD2 Smart Start Plan
Dear SCSD2 Families,
Our June parent and staff surveys revealed a strong, consistent desire to return to school this August. The district has therefore collaborated with public health officials to develop a plan for full return to school. Our Board of Trustees unanimously approved this plan at their July 15 meeting. While the entire plan includes extensive detail impacting the full scope of district operations, we are sharing the following key highlights with families today:
- K-5 Schools:
- Students and staff will wear masks when entering and exiting the building before and after school.
- When students and staff are with their classroom cohort, individuals will not be required to wear masks.
- If mixing with other classes, students and staff will wear masks.
- If a plexiglass barrier is provided for individual or small group instruction, masks will not be required.
- Student masks will not be required during lunch and at recess, as classroom cohorts will remain together during these times.
- 6-12 Schools:
- Students and staff will wear masks since they are mixing with different groups throughout the day.
- Schools will develop lunch schedules and logistics that allow students to eat in smaller groups while maintaining social distancing.
- Home Screening:
- The district will provide staff and families with a home screening protocol for COVID-19, asking staff to self-screen and parents to screen children every morning before school.
- Families will also receive updated guidance on when to keep a child home if they are sick.
- All students, drivers, and staff on buses will wear masks; the exception will be a classroom cohort or team that ride the bus together for an activity.
- Parents are encouraged to provide transportation if possible.
- All students and staff will wash hands frequently throughout the day.
- Schools and classrooms will develop protocols and reminders to facilitate hand washing.
- The district is implementing increased sanitation protocols across all buildings.
It is essential to note that this plan balances the consistent desire among parents to reopen our schools with directives from public health officials. In the coming weeks, the district and each school will provide further communication with families, including attendance expectations. In the meantime, please view the resources linked below.
Craig Dougherty, Superintendent
School Supply Lists
2020-2021 Academic Calendar